Sunday, August 06, 2006

Baby Did A Stupid, Stupid Thing

How much worse will things get?

I was writing something and realized I had used a word without knowing its exact meaning. No, that's not the shameful part. Who hasn't used "disingenuous" without some doubt about its precise usage?

No, the shameful part was that I wanted to look up the meaning of the word and I fired up the browser. Typed the word into Googlebar. Clicked on the Answers.com link.

And all this while, a copy of the OED was right in front of me.

Not only was I aware of that fat, beautiful dictionary sitting on the shelf but for about 10 nanoseconds, I actually "weighed" the decision of having to pick up that fat, beautiful dictionary versus using the browser.

1 comment:

Falstaff said...

Shocking. The only decent thing to do, of course, is to keep a link to the OED website in your bookmarks, so that you can look stuff up on the Net but still feel virtuous towards the old dictionary.