Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Men: The "No Aural" Sex

This is staggering:

Men do have problems listening to women.

(pic in the above link of an Indian couple coochie-cooing on Marine Drive, Bombay. Sadly, he can't hear a word of what's she's coochie-cooing.)

Let me wipe a solitary tear off my cheek and years of accumulated sweat off my brow. Now we will look at the rest of the research.

Men deciphered female voices using the auditory part of the brain that processes music, while male voices engaged a simpler mechanism

But...but....we've been saying this for years! Us men simple, you women complex. Pretentious aside: Watch "Amadeus" for a physical demonstration of this phenomenon (Herr Mozart's mom-in-law "explodes" into an aria.)

The female voice is actually more complex than the male voice..

CAW! CAW!! CAW!!!

..due to differences in the size and shape of the vocal cords and larynx between men and women

It's called "advantage". Stop boasting, ladies.

The findings may help explain why people suffering hallucinations usually hear male voices

Thank God. I just assumed there were these little men inside my head telling me to do deplorable things.

the brain may find it much harder to conjure up a false female voice accurately than a false male voice

So, the research was conducted on...Michael Jackson?

I am giddy with delight. Let's see how she gets me to put the book/guitar/newspaper down.