Monday, August 29, 2005

Farewell, Angeline

The doctor to Mysore's Wodeyars, the royal family, died at the age of 94.

What an amazing life it must have been - to get an MBBS degree in 1947, to deliver a prince and 5 princesses but still provide free medical services for poor patients after her retirement. An excellent profile of the doctor appears in Star of Mysore.

But let me come clean. The real reason why this news is important to me is this: Dr. Stephen delivered my elder sister :)

So, in a strange, cosmic, all-things-are-connected way, I wouldn't be who I am if it were not for Dr. Alice Angeline Stephen. May her soul rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note about Dr. Alice Angeline. She was related to our family and I have only heard a lot about her.. Most men and women of the early 1900's that i have met and heard of have an indomitable spirit and courage. As children we were overwhelmed by stories of their courage.. god bless her soul..

nice to hear your words as well..