Monday, February 26, 2007

What Dream?

My cab driver is a forty-something guy - white, bespectacled and balding. I am jet-lagged like hell and try to beat it with conversation and I ask him if he usually finds passengers this early in the morning. He takes that as a cue and tells me about his daily schedule. He works 2 shifts - 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Then, in a soft, worried tone, he clarifies "but it's so hard to make ends meet". I am curious about his health insurance. "That's the other thing. I am 40 and I don't have health insurance. I worry about that a lot. What if something were to happen to me?"

You could be working 84 98 hours a week and still not be able to afford health insurance.

Only in America, folks.

2 comments:

Joy Forever said...

I think you are still jetlagged... 14 hours a day, 7 days a week makes it 98 hours a week and not 84. :-)
And most of us here seem to think that America is a land of easy money.

km said...

Joy, you are eagle-eyed and I am indeed jet-lagged :)