Wednesday, December 14, 2005

LMAOWDTW*

*Laughing My Ass Off While Driving To Work

So Zappa's "Absolutely Free" (link goes to Ground And Sky, an avant/prog/experimental music review site) is playing in the car. I know there will be tons of shoot-coffee-out-of-my-nose moments. It is, after all, a Frank Zappa album. "Absolutely Free" does not disappoint at that level.

After the mind-bending hilarity of classics like "Call any vegetable" and songs about prunes, comes a song called "America Drinks". For those who haven't heard it, the song kicks off with Zappa's voice counting "One! Two! Buckle My Shoe!". I don't know why, but it cracks me every time. The mental picture of a serious, avant-rock musician using a nursery rhyme for the count is pretty funny. Think I will just keep the intro to this song on a never-ending loop till Friday.

Listening to Zappa reminds me of hanging out with a really smart and really disgusting kid in middle school. You know, the one who knew all the really filthy, funny jokes involving the unholy trinity of booger, shit and farts. Of course, Zappa's music is *so* much more than just jokes and novelty songs...

2 comments:

Manish Bhatt said...

I just bought 'Hot Rats', my first Zappa. Looking forwrd to listening to it. And thanks for visiting my blog. Do come again.

km said...

M,

Hot Rats! Cool. My first was "Joe's Garage". Still love that album.

krishna