Thursday, April 19, 2007

Feisty Fawn

The new version of Ubuntu is out: "Feisty Fawn". I want to install it just for that gloriously silly name. Who wants to be stuck forever in "1.0/2.0/SP7" hell? Besides, Feisty Fawn's got excellent reviews. Here's one.

For those of you who have not heard of Ubuntu before, the word comes from a Bantu language and one of its translations over at Wikipedia is
"I am what I am because of what we all are"
That's a goddamn sweet philosophy and sweeter still is the fact that it costs several hundred dollars less than the operating system I am using currently.

(Link via Slashdot)

UPDATE: Leaping Lizards! Just how are Ubuntu releases named?


Rahul said...

Have fun. Though if you want silly names, you should wait for the next release, which will be "Gutsy Gibbon".

My non-techie wife has been using Ubuntu for over a year now -- the laptop was several thousand rupees cheaper without Windows -- and is doing fine. Admittedly she's the type who figures out gadgets rapidly without manuals, but still. Occasionally she needs help, but I'm around: if it were windows, she'd still occasionally need help and I would be useless.

You can always play with the live CD (which boots into a full, working session without touching your hard disk) before you consider installing.

km said...

Rahul: "Gutsy Gibbon" is so cool.

I am actually looking forward to wiping out Windows from two of my machines, so a live CD won't do ;)

Rahul said...

One keeps seeing comments on slashdot to the effect that Ubuntu names are unprofessional and will discourage users -- good to see that's not always true :)

MockTurtle said...

Maybe the next release should have been titled "Geek God"

km said...

MT: Long as they don't go for "Masturbating Macaque".