Monday, February 06, 2006

Still Rock and Roll To Me

The Village Voice reviews Billy Joel's new compilation album. A one-line summary of the review would be "critic tears Billy Joel a new one".

What has poor Billy done to deserve it? Sure, there are times when I will - I must - flip the dial if a Billy Joel song comes on. I simply cannot listen to "Piano Man" or "Captain Jack". Especially the former - the very words "it's nine o'clock on a saturday.." make me want to drive my car into a bar and repeatedly run over the real estate novelist.

But there are also times when I am totally drawn by the melody of some of his songs. Could this "melodicism" be the reason why rock critics are distrustful of his songs, as if to say, if the songs are so tuneful, how could it be intelligent music?

OK, so "Honesty" or "Pressure" may not be anthems, but must every song be an anthem for it to be enjoyed? What's wrong with a good old-fashioned tune every now and then?

6 comments:

J said...

>>I simply cannot listen to "Piano Man"

Oh, but why?

Arthur Quiller Couch said...

Mikael Wood is a sad-assed pretentious asshole. Billy J is rarely great (but have you heard "The Downeaster Alexa"?!), but he's an honest tryer with some very good numbers, a gift for good melodic arrangements and an incredible voice. He does not deserve to have know-it-all dickheads ripping into him.

km said...

J, the words "over-exposure" come to mind. I don't think the song is bad, it's just that it plays like 20 times a day on FM. Kinda like Stairway to Heaven (but I am a major Zephead, so there!)

Couch, totally agree with you about Mikael Wood. Joel is not just an honest "tryer", he's written some outstanding music. Downeaster Alexa is not among my Top 10 Joel songs, but it is a very good song.

Jay said...

"Storm front" is one of those albums which I take out of the shelves once in a while and play from the first song to the last. Just like I do with "Brothers in arms" or Aha's "Hunting high and low".. a collection of good tunes which makes you feel good!

PS: Sometimes I skip the song "We didnt start.." for the same reason: overexposure:)

km said...

Jay, *that* song..aarggh. And yes, Storm Front is not a bad album. Though my favorite still is "Nylon Curtain".

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »