Tuesday, February 07, 2006

And So It Begins

Landings and arrivals really matter to us. Like the landing on Normandy Beach or the landing on the Moon.

February 7, 1964 was the day the Beatles landed at JFK. So much has been said (and written) by so many about the event. I still enjoy looking at pictures from that special moment in pop history. This is rock's adolescence in full bloom.

Then there's the famous press conference, where the band snaps back at reporters and fans with Marx Brothers' like wit. When I read some of the Q&A, I wonder, were the seeds of 1968/69 already sown at this point? (This fanboy moment brought to you courtesy Apple Records.)

NPR has an entire page devoted to this much-remembered day. Scroll down to the section titled "The Beatles' Arrival" to see a video clip of Pan Am's most famous passengers alighting from the aircraft.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nostalgic indeed. A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Though this uas a year before my birth, I wish I had heard the Beatles at their prime. Some memories deserve to be preserved forever.

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

I used that clip in a quiz I ran some weeks ago. It was a spare for the audience and I had to use it as a back-up - and the first team it went to, pimply young infants, said it was a baseball game!

O Tempora! O Mores!

J.A.P.

km said...

Hiren, I once met a man who'd heard Elvis in his very last concert. I've tried hard to find someone who was at the Shea Stadium or the Candlestick Park concerts, no luck so far. If I do, there will be a blog on it :)

JAP: the horror, the horror.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »