Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Blues For Neguse

From this Japanese site I occasionally visit for its "word-of-the-day" feature comes a word we all need every once in a while, particularly on the Parachute Coconut Hair Oil Day:
"ne guse: morning hair that is, hair that sticks up due to sleeping"
There's also the helpful suggested usage:
"shimatta. mata neguse!
Oh no. Morning hair again!"
The masterly use of the exclamation mark at the end of that sentence sealed the deal for me. Who here has not looked at the mirror and mused over the beauty and mystery of morning hair (but always after silently exclaiming: "AGAIN!")?

Today's word of the day is a particularly good one:
"u chuu jin: alien, space man"
and comes with an even more interesting usage:
"watashi wa amerika jin desu kedo, imouto wa uchuu jin na no desu: I am an American, but my little sister is an alien. [This example comes in quite handy for checking to see if your listener is listening. if your listener shows no reaction, there is a good chance he's not listening.]"
Brilliant. Though I gotta be honest. I have occasionally suspected my sister to be an alien. How else could she have kicked my butt so hard between the ages of 6 and 10?

Anyway, family secrets aside, here's The Japanese Page and here's how you wow 'em. Now go learn something useful for a change.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I know a lot of Japanese and Koreans whose hair sticks up permanently. Not sure if they use gel to achieve this effect.

I am tagging you. The good news is, it's a very easy tag to do :)

km said...

Easy tag, eh? Didn't know such a thing existed.

Tabula Rasa said...

the japanese influence is creeping eastwards, i see. in the midwest it's all ohayo, michi-san.

km said...

ToRedo ohayo, TR san!