Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Alltop

I can now safely say I am hooked to alltop. I wasn't so sure at first. Too many topics/categories seemed repetitive; "Opera" turned out to be a collection of blogs about the browser; that orange banner was a pain in the rear. But all that was four weeks ago. Now I find myself checking out news and blog updates regularly on alltop rather than via RSS. And I've made peace with the orange banner.

Searching for blogs by topic is just not easy. Google's own tool has been gamed to death by spam-blogs. (Simply enter an alltop topic into Google's blog-search and compare the results with alltop's blogs). Alltop is filling an important gap in the market while destroying my productivity. What could be better than that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am all for people getting hooked on alltop. I hardly get any traffic from alltop right now ;)

More seriously, I agree, I did discover a lot of good blogs through alltop..and it has a clean layout and is well organized.

km said...

Lekhni: interesting that you don't get much traffic from alltop. Could it be because the category "India" is too broad? Or is it just that not too many visitors to alltop are interested in that particular topic?

Anonymous said...

I don't know :( Or maybe because "India" is right under the orange bar, so no one notices it?

??! said...

At the risk of sounding like a Luddite, I only got introduced to this a few days back - and haven't really explored it.

So interestingly, I notice Lekhni and a couple of other bloggers are being profiled. How do they pick them? By popularity (page views etc), or is it just a random thing?