Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"Well My Mind Is Goin' Through Them Changes"

"Band of Gypsys" was my first purchase. Some obscure music shop in Pune, one memorable school trip. My parents had instructed me: "Don't blow up all your money on books". I blew it all up on buying tapes. I returned home a few weeks later and learned I had flunked Math in the "half-yearlies". I was so ashamed of my failure I couldn't face my father. So I locked myself up in my room and played "Band of Gypsys" all afternoon. Best winter ever.

Buddy Miles died last week. I just read about it in Times' obit section. Jon Pareles describes his playing as "brisk, assertive, deeply funky attack". Indeed.

4 comments:

Tabula Rasa said...

another one :-(

km said...

TR: I bet Jimi must be excited to see his old drummer again.

Anita said...

it is amazing how parents give you money on school excursions and tell you not to buy the one thing that you are likely to buy. though one of my friends bought a stuffed squirrel that her mom threw out with a cry when she saw it and made her think again about prohibiting fav stuff.

km said...

Anita: A *stuffed squirrel* offended that poor lady? I don't get that at all :)